lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Calorie Counting - a Thing of the Past

I was counting calories, doing my best to make every one count. Choosing complex carbs over simple, choosing healthier snax. Now that I am running 20 + miles a week, I have abandoned writing down what I eat and adding up the calories.
I have learned to trust my body. It tells me when it's full, in need of fuel, tired, thirsty, and energetic. I am learning to feed these needs, and doing my best to make wise food choices. I drink TONS of water now! During workouts, after, before, all the time! My urine is clear all the time, I know TMI, but I'm trying to illustrate a point here. I'm comfortable with that much water - and UNcomfortable w/o it.

I used to not eat anything for breakfast. Food in the morning made me feel nauseous. Now I eat BIG breakfasts. For example yesterday morning I ate half a packet of oatmeal w/ a tsp of molasses and 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese w/ a slice of pineapple. I was full. This morning I ate the entire packet of oatmeal, the cottage cheese w/fruit, AND 6 ozs of yogurt. After the oatmeal was gone, 20 minutes later I was still hungry. So I ate again. The yogurt was enough. These breakfasts are huge compared to what I used to not eat. During the rest of the day I tend to pick here and there: an apple, a few carrots, handful of nuts, yogurt with an oatmeal cookie for lunch (yesterday), salad, etc. I've noticed a need for more protein in my diet as well. SO I sneak in nuts and dairy where I can. Yes, I do give in and eat cake sometimes. The occasional brownie. The piece of chocolate yesterday... and the day before. I don't believe in deprivation, to the point of madness... and let's face it - NEVER eating chocolate is MADNESS! Now when I eat the naughty items I don't feel the guilt that usually comes with them. I feel indulged instead. A little self indulgence is okay.

The point is, I am learning how to respond appropriately to my body's signals without being overly concerned with how many or how much. I'm running pretty regularly now and increasing my distance. I'll burn it off.
Another thing that seems to have changed is - when I want down time, instead of closeting myself away with a book, or a bubble bath, I find myself craving an extra run, an hour of yoga, or a 15 minute nap. After the run, yoga, or the power nap I feel great! Yesterday is an excellent example. I'll need to do something again today I know it! It's rainy, the kids are indoors, I may run in the rain today, just for some time to think without a little person hangin on my leg.
Don't get me wrong, I love everysingle one of the little monsters. But sometimes time off is best. Think about it. EVERY OTHER JOB IN THE WORLD GETS TIME OFF! Even in jail you can get time off for good behavior! I'm a mom 24/7, 8 days a week. To keep my sanity intact I need time off. A trip to the bathroom ALONE! A few hours where someone ELSE changes the diapers. You're moms out there! You know what I'm saying.
So these are things that have changed, are changing, and I have noticed them. I have not forced any of these changes. I have observed my body's needs and done my best to fulfill them healthfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment