lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Saturday 126 - and Training and books!

Hip Opening emphasis. There was triangle (ick), warrior, a tree-like pose, and something else... but honestly, I thought there would be a few more hip opening poses. We did lots of forward folds. I don't know much about yoga- maybe some of these other poses also helped open up the hips in a more subtle manner. But it wasn't what I expected.
However, I did enjoy it! Just because I expected something different, doesn't mean I won't repeat it!
I was tired this morning. Probably due to the rain and thunder. It just make me feel like staying in bed all day. So I went into child' pose a few times to rest. And I stayed in shavasana (that resting pose) for a long while. Maybe 15 minutes. Very nice.

We're going camping tonight. I am looking forward to a different run in the morning. My training schedule says 3 miles. But it also said 4 for yesterday, and I bet altogether I went 7 or 8. Last night's run was the best I've had all week. I am wondering if I am starting off the training a little too easy peasy. Maybe I need to up the intesity and jump ahead a week or two. Or maybe consider another schedule. I seem happier with a schedule that allows me to run more often that the one I'm on now. Not 7 days a week, but instead of having 3 days of rest, maybe 2 would suit me better. I found a runner's book in the library I've been reading. I read a lot folks.

In this book it talks about Fartleks (Swiss term for speed work), which is something I've been doing naturally. Neat, huh? It talks about LSD, not the drug! LSD is a term used by runners to describe people who enjoy the run for running's sake. They enjoy just getting out there and going. They don't need the races, or the motivation of staying fit. They just like to run. Which I think may apply to me as well. Not that I'm the carbon copy of a great runner. I'm a chunky chica who just likes to go go go. Anyway, in this book it gives acouple of sample training schedules for a marathon. I'm thinking of adapting the beginner's schedule to suit my half marathon goals. It allows for more distance and 2 days of rest. Thinking Thinking. I'll think some more about it.

I've read about yoga. I've read about weight lifting - as a matter of a fact I own a copy of Selene Yeager's Perfectly Fit. I love her book. For several reasons. 1- She looks like me. No, I am not that cute. Her build is like me, though she may be taller, as most people are. I can look at her and say to myself, that's a body I can attain. I can do that. 2- Simple instructions make each exercise easy. 3- None of the exercises are too complicated. Like with yoga- I have to SEE someone assume the poses so I know how to get into and out of them. These exercises aren't like that. They are all really simplistic. Good book. I am waiting for my Complete Women's Book of Running. I've read the Complete Book of Running, great reference. But as I am a woman, I thought this one might suit me even better. I have not yet found a yoga book I even remotely like. Not that I NEED one. My dvds are great. I'd just like to be more familiar with the terms and the benefits of each pose. So if you know of any, share the title!
Thought for the Day: Do some movement this weekend that feels good!

1 comment:

  1. Beryl Bender's Book "Power YOga"

    Baron Baptiste 40 days transformation

    Love love love those books!!

    ReplyDelete