lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Weight Loss Plateau - The Good Side !

My scale has moved less and less in the past 5 months, and not moved beyond 2 lbs in the past 2. While I refuse to be discouraged I have been curious as to why this would happen. I have been losing weight for about 12 months pretty steady, but the last 5 it dropped off, and during the past 2 very little if any. Therefore I have reached a plateau. Okay, what is a weight loss plateau?

I went to caloriecount.about.com. and found my answer, or rather it was emailed to me as I am a member of the site. (This is summerized and I do not steal) A weight loss plateau is when one stops losing weight after months of a steady decline in weight, but this cease is not due to workout change or an increase in calorie intake. It happens when about 10% of the body weight is lost. It's normal. It's even good! Now we learn how to embrace the plateau.

The plateau is time to build what? MUSCLE!!! It is not time to have a pity party, shoot yourself in the foot, or chew off your hands at the wrists to better resist snack temptations! Nope! It's time to build those muscles, girls! But in order to do that one must increase the caloric intake! Ooooooh. I cringe. But let's move forward anyway.

The plateau is about muscle-to-fat ratio. When you lose weight, fat is lost, but so is some of the muscle. So when you reach the plateau in order to begin to burn more fat you have to increase the muscle. Now we're not just talking major muscle groups, although you need to build those too. But we need to work on building ALL muscle groups. We're talking about legs, arms, abs, rear view, DIAPHRAGM!, and HEART! So when I say build muscle, we're not just gonna lift weights. To improve our diaphragm it takes aerobics! That is what supports the lungs! Heart? Well, you know what that does, but let's say this anyway- you need blood to pump well no matter what you're doing... but as you increase the work load (ie- muscle) you need to condition the ticker. So don't stop all the great aerobics you're doing! Keep it up. You will need it for the next stage of weight loss after the plateau passes. And it will.

About the caloric increase. To build muscle you need enough spare protein for building. Notice I said "protein" not "calories". So not just any calories will do. The plateau is not the time to slide back into old bad eating habits. But when there calories are low, protein is burned as fuel, and not used for repairs. During the plateau it is important to consume enough calories to maintain that new weight! Let me say that again. During the plateau it is important to consume enough calories to maintain that new weight. After a few months (some say 6) you will begin to see some weight loss again. When you do you lessen the caloric intake again, just a touch, to help it fall away.

When we build muscle we gain weight. Weight itself is not bad. Pay more attention to your size during this time. I have been on this plateau for at least 2 months. I have been eating more, not a lot but more. I have managed to incorporate an extra cup of yogurt, more fruit and veggies, and a little more poultry into my daily diet. I have noticed that on days I do not workout, or the workout is laid back, I'm less hungry. So my confidence in my own body urges is increasing. I beginning to trust my stomach to tell me how much to eat. Not my sugar cravings, people, just my tummy. But a note about attention to size. While on this plateau I have not lost weight, but I have gotten thinner. Everywhere. Scratch that, I don't think my boobs are going to ever shrink, but everywhere else. I am a smaller size despite no pounds have left. Look at your size, not the scale right now.

So when you've reached your plateau, look at it as break time. Eat a little more, enough to satisfy, not over stuff (we're not turkeys), and just do your thing. Look at yourself and think about where you want more muscle to show. My wings are a forever battle. My abs have gone through 6 births, they need strength!! Look at what you would like to happen and while eating a little more and working out you can focus a extra n those areas while strengthening the entire package.

I don't know when we'll get pregnant again, yes we hope to. But I would like to lose let's say 20 more lbs of fat before our youngest is 2. That gives me 6 months. It probably will not happen. But I'm never disappointed in myself if I overestimate my goal. I am happy to shoot for the stars and land on the moon instead. Make an outside goal, and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment