lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, April 16, 2010

Healthy snacks

I chatted up a friend today who gave me a great idea for jazzing up popcorn. A little sugar and cinnamon. Mmmmm. Air popped, of course. She's so cool. So the kids and I tried it today, we used brown sugar - yummy mummies!
The thing I've been getting out lately for myself is lite whip cream, mixing it with some cocoa, and then spreading about a tablespoon onto a chocolate rice cake. Now I'm bad, I eat 2 of these. But one is only 85 calories, so eating the second to satisfay my chocolate craving isn't so aweful. My evil chocolate craving visits me almost daily. Naughty little demon! If I'm not into the rice cake thing that day I'll eat a homemade truffle. I keep them in the freezer. And as we all know, the darker the chocolate, the less you ned to satisfy. The truffles are from a recipe found online and (if one keeps the size reasonable) are just 70 calories each.

I LOVE yogurt, and I found a vanilla I like that has only 80 calories per serving. Pair it with a few almonds and viola'. We love carrots at out house too. Lets see what else do we eat often? Apple/cinn rice cakes, bananas, grapes, apples, hmmmm. Now I make donuts and cookies and all those other things for the kids... I just try very hard to keep them away from MY lips. The cookies are particulary difficult to resist. So I try to make my least favorites. However, one must remember that a peanutbutter cookies has a lot of protein and if eaten with enough water can fool your belly into waiting patiently for the next meal. *wink wink*

So, I have a question... what healthy snacks do you go for? I'd love to have some new recipes and ideas to add to our snacking cabinet.

2 comments:

  1. AHhh! The popcorn recipe sounds vaguely familiar! LOL I know who you've been talking to! Yummy healthy snacks here are popcorn (I pop in a hot pan sprayed with cooking spray - essentially nonfat), apples (in season LOL), slice of homemade whole wheat bread with a drizzle of honey (don't really crave the butter with this), and pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your apples are the best for snacking!! Looking forward to the fall for your apples.

    ReplyDelete