lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday!

It's spring, my hubby's home... so outside I run!!! My first outdoor run this year! I got my sweatshirt, water, cd player, headphones, and STING. Talk about inspirational running music. I love Sting! The pic is the scenery. ha ha.
Okay, hold your breath. I've not timed or measured myself for a LONG time. But the last time I did it was before the last baby and I ran 4 miles everyday or so. I was going for 6 today. Surely after running on the treadmill, I could take these hills for 6 miles, right? I got to my 3 mile marker, a graveyard, and looked towards the next marker. I kept going. I thought, that's not so far. Here it comes... I ran 8 MILES!!! More than that, I ran 8 miles in less than 60 minutes!!! I figured, it's been so long since I ran these darn hills I'd go 10 minutes a mile. But no. Yay me! I did better than I hoped.

My hippo came along, and burned during every uphill climb. I have a trick with hills, maybe it's common. But I'll tell you anyway. When taking a long drawn out hill I keep my focus point about 3 feet in front of my feet. Then as I glance up closer to the top I run faster. I just kick it in high gear. Yeah, my booty's an engine. Then at the top I do a little dance and keep going. Sometimes the dance is mental, sometimes it's not. Today I danced almost all the way back from my 4 mile marker singing along with Sting.

Gosh I feel great about this! I started running, jogging, whateveryoucallit 3 yrs ago. I walked/ran at first. I was pregnant, then postpartum. Gradually I was able to run the entire time. I stretched distance instead of focusing on speed. However, amazingly enough I have gotten faster. A LOT faster. huh.

Now I'm still not very fast, but that's okay. I'm not racing anyone but me. And if I was, it wouldn't matter. I'm not competitive, something people have complained about, but I am hopeless at changing. But on that note, I would like to find some kind of run. Like for cancer, or SOMEthing. But I wanna go far. I want it to be something I need to work towards... any ideas?

After the run I did some serious stretching, and I figured out why you need to walk before you stop. I tried stopping and almost fell down. So I walked around the yard. Ha ha. My inner thighs were super tight- ouch. But the stretching felt so good that like the run I really didn't want to stop. I wish I could go run some more right now. But I gotta be mom. Well, I don't want it to get old, so I'll look forward to next time, and go me mom.

The Amazing Shrinking Hippo ran 8 miles!!! The Amazing Shrinking Hippo is sore, and gonna be more in the morning. But I'm gonna do it AGAIN!! Man, I need a shower and a drink.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment