lilupie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Love Story...


For those of you who may be interested -

I have heard many women mourn over their perceived inability to do yoga. They take a class, given by a "string bean", or follow a dvd, taught by and followed by a clan of "skinnies". The people I have known bemoan the lack of flexibility, their "extra insulation", and their myriad of "problem areas". A lot of people, mainly talking about women here, decide not to try exercise because of these issues. A lot of people give it a "shot" for a week or so, then give up, because of it's difficulty levels.


To you, let me tell you my story- I began this trip at the age of 20, when I weighed 98 lbs soaking wet (keep reading!). I was underweight and sadly lacking in strength when I took up dancing. With my second pregnancy (the first ending in a stillbirth) I developed a (at the time) rare dietary problem that resulted in doubling my weight and a long list of illnesses before I gave birth to a full term little boy. It took at least two years to figure out what the problem was, change my diet accordingly, and begin to feel better. My occupation at the time was very physically demanding, so the weight ever so slowly fell off before the toddler grew to be 4 yrs old. I, however, was at a much more healthy weight, no longer unable to lift more than a toothpick.

At that point I tried kickboxing at a gym, a circular training gym, and jogging. All at different points. Then I tried yoga. I kept up the jogging sporadically. But the yoga became part of my weekly ritual. I became pregnant again... I discovered I hated gyms and where we were yoga was still very new. So I picked up a few cheap dvds and started on my own. I still have one that I refer to now and then. I have never been to a class, sadly.

That 4 yr old is now almost 12 and I have since given birth to 4 little girls (and adopted a little boy), each pregnancy and delivery better and easier than the last. More importantly each baby healthier than the one before. My weight has fluctuated with each pregnancy, and afterward it takes me a sad long year at least to lose it all. .
My mother and grandmother are both overweight... so I guess you could say I am predisposed to that. However, I don't seem to be going in that direction at all.

That said, I also want to point out that I am NOT a skinny minnie. I am what some have called "womanly", "curvy", "well-endowed", "chunky", etc. I was a c cup when I was 13 yrs old. When I'm nursing I'm a DD. I am still a D, and likely to remain so, if birthing and nursing 5 babies hasn't diminished them by now. I am not extraordinarily flexible, or strong. I am a pretty average 33 yr old girl. I don't consider myself as exceptional in any area, really. I still sometimes feel as though I have a hippo hanging on for the ride when I get on the treadmill. I still reach for a cookie when I should be drinking water. My arms, my life long sorrow, have decided wings attached (inherited!), that refuse to budge other than to wobble showing off their existence. I am 5 foot a little bit over. I have thighs that rub together. I have love handles, I call it flub, around my middle. I am imperfect physical woman! Just like you!!! I feel much more happy and comfortable with my body than ever before. I am in better shape now than ever in my life! I may not be able to do them often but - I love hiking, running, horsebackriding, yoga, weights, and many more. I would love to try rock climbing! I wanna go rafting! I'd like to give cycling a whirl. And dancing! I am trying to find some way to dance - like date night!
This all stated, I would like to point out - if I, at 180lbs (after I had that little boy!), can begin to get my bum in gear, so can you! It takes guts, don't think that it doesn't. It takes resolve. And it ain't for sissies. If you want more energy - If you want to feel more comfortable in the skin that you're in... ya gotta "move it! move it"! (as our kids would say)

So, that's it. That's me and how I fell in love with exercise, or how exercise made me fall in love with my body.

2 comments: